Followers

Monday, September 8, 2014

Road Trip!

We survived. A fourteen-hour road trip from CA to ID in two days with four boys four and under.

We've done road trips before and I've learned a few tips along the way. I always go to the dollar store ahead of time and get a few toys to pull out at intervals so they have something new to look at. I stock a hefty snack bag with fruit, crackers, apple sauce cups, cereal, granola bars - easy things that I can chuck into the backseat when the whining starts.

The two older boys also each pack their own little bags of things to do. They have gotten pretty good at it. The four-year-old finally knows what types of things will keep him busy in the car and packs accordingly. The three-year-old is still a little confused. I checked his suitcase before we left and found one shoe and a handful of mismatched game pieces. I helped him repack.

When we start our trip this is what goes into the van:


But despite my best efforts those neat little packages somehow explode into this:


Little boys have an amazing ability to transform anything into a pile of trash. At every gas station I threw away twice as much stuff as I brought. It's a phenomenon. I think I was more impressed than annoyed.

I have to say that overall the trip went smoothly. Bathroom stops were a challenge. Although 50% of our children are potty trained road trips always throw them off.


Three-year-old Georgie has an amazing knack for articulating tricky concepts like constipation.

During one bathroom stop Dave took three of the boys in by himself.


Three happy boys filed in...


...and three happy boys filed out. Child number two was completely unaware that he was naked from the waste down and was not wearing shoes. Dave didn't notice it either until they had walked all the way back through the gas station and were almost out the door. Proof that boys think clothes are completely unnecessary.

We always tried to combine stops: Meals, fuel, bathroom all in one shot. But it's very hard to plan when you are traveling with little ones. When you have to stop, you have to stop. At one such stop we pulled off at a Burrito Bandito. Have you had the Bandito experience? Nothing compares. It is outstanding. But those burritos should come with a warning label. Let's just say they take comfort food to a very uncomfortable level. Even poor baby Charlie was not digging Bandito milk. He told me - at 12am, 2am, 4am, and 5am.

That being said, meals were a fun way to break up the trip. We create quite a scene when we go to restaurants. We're used to it. We usually get a lot of smiles and giggles and the occasional raised eyebrow. But on this trip we experienced something new: cold hard stares. One couple sat behind us and stared the whole time without a hint of a smile. They didn't even try to hide it. That awkward moment when you make eye contact and expect them to look away...and they don't. I could draw a picture, but Dave captured them on camera.


I'm sorry, I can't help laughing when I see this picture. Who could be upset at those sweet brothers? Maybe it wasn't our boys. Maybe they were just experiencing the Bandito effect a little early.

I was impressed at how well the boys kept themselves entertained. I did hear the occasional squabble. Despite all the toys we had brought I was surprised to learn that the cause of the argument was an empty gum wrapper. From the backseat:


William: Fine! You can have it this time. But when we get to Idaho it's MY turn.

Peter, the two-year-old, had the hardest time. He was too young to pace himself or just enjoy the scenery. And he had to sit in the middle to be near Mommy because I have incredible aim with the barf bucket. He did great all day on our first day of travel. Then, when I was distracted booking a hotel, it happened. I turned around and realized I missed the whole Bandito burrito. I'm surprised the hotel accepted us in the horrific state we arrived in, but it turned out to be a wonderful stay. We pulled into our new home late the next night. We are truly blessed to have kids who are always up for an adventure. I know there are many more in store for these little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment