Followers

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Surviving Tricky Toddlers

We are in a fun stage with the kids right now - the "Look what I can do!" stage. I can't count how many times I hear that throughout the day from the older two. The problem is, if one brother says it the other brother refuses to be left out. They will often try to match (if not top) each other. So one new trick is immediately followed by another...often with very different results.


William (4): Mommy, look at my new magic trick!


William: (jump, spin) Yeah!


George (2): Mommy, watch MY new magic trick!


Sometimes George can't think fast enough so he uses whatever is in his hands. I taught him a new magic trick - how to clean apple off the wall and furniture.

Whether he's actually ever tried the trick William is showing me or not, George immediately gives it a try.


William: Mommy, watch me whistle!


Me: Wow, William! That's great!


George: Mommy, watch ME whistle!


I know that to George, there's no difference in the quality of performance. But if he asks you if you want to hear him whistle, just make sure you are standing a few feet away.

Lately they've been getting more clever. Sunday night has to top them all. William had Dave and I sitting on the couch listening to one of his sermons, as he often does.


William: .....So, next Sunday we would like to ask that you each bring a toy to play with during the sermon. And now I will be right back. I'm going to get you some bulletins to look at.


William: (Rustle, rustle, rustle)

He took advantage of the fact that both parents were occupied, sitting on the couch, and he helped himself to a pile of candy. When he came back with no "bulletins" and a sticky mouth full of candy, he realized he was caught. I honestly think he wasn't intending to do that, but when he passed by the candy he couldn't resist. Perhaps he's not quite ready for the ministry yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment